Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror

Just spotted a review over at Fantasy Magazine of this new anthology from S. T. Joshi. Paula Guran had this to say about my contribution:

"The small town (and surrounding world) of Norman Partridge's 'Lesser Demons' goes seriously amok one day, but a no-nonsense sheriff and a wet-behind-the-ears deputy manage to survive the mayhem zombie-like demons bring to their parts. The deputy starts reading a bunch of damned books -- since this is Lovecraft territory you can take that literally -- and thinks he can fix things. After all, you can't just 'shotgun the whole damn universe.' Or can you?"

Well... maybe you can try.

I haven't received a copy of Black Wings from PS Publishing yet, but I'm hoping it will make the trip to my mailbox soon. With stories by David J Schow and Laird Barron, I'm really looking forward to cracking the covers on this one. And I certainly had a blast writing "Lesser Demons." Never thought I'd type "The End" to a piece where I'd site H. P. Lovecraft and Jim Thompson as the two biggest influences, but here it is. Hope you enjoy it.