Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sunday Supplement 11/27/11

After that Thanksgiving Day Silver Age Marvel-fest with Tom Pic, I pulled down my copy of The Incredible Hulk Omnibus, the big fat hardcover with ol' Greenskin's original six issue run and all the Tales to Astonish Hulk stories. Had a lot of fun rereading those. Of course, the Jack Kirby Hulk is the best, and I especially love issues #4 and #5... but I have to admit I've got a soft spot for the Bill Everett Hulk in TtA, and Marie Severin's version, too (though Severin's is definitely the pretty-boy Hulk -- sometimes he looks like Tony Curtis with muscles).

While we're upgrading my knowledge on the Marvel Universe, can someone explain to me the whole "Red Hulk" deal? I get the Planet: Hulk thing, and enjoyed that series... but I missed the boat on this big red guy.

Fantastic essay on 1) Peter Straub's Ghost Story and 2) becoming a writer over at Christopher Shearer's A Pulp Solemnity blog. This one's got sharp insights into Straub's novel, an engaging personal story, and (for my library compadres) it notches pretty high on the lib-sci serendipity-meter, too. Love it when I read about someone's game getting change because they stumbled across a book in the stacks -- that's happened to me more than once, and just knowing that it does happen is one of the very best parts about working in a library.

More serendipity. Stumbled across this Cruzados tune while listening to an old (wait for it) mix tape. Yes. On my Sony Walkman. Haven't heard it in twenty years or so, and it still resonates (as some ghosts from the eighties do). Shoulda been a hit, too... but then again, I'm a sucker for any song with a guitar break that sounds like it belongs in an old spy movie.