Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Three For Three

Not only was my novella "Lesser Demons"the title story in my most recent Subpress collection, it was also published in S. T. Joshi's Lovecraftian anthology (Black Wings) pretty much simultaneously. Now comes the good news that my tale of a monster-hunting sheriff trapped in a (definitely) hostile environment has been chosen for all three of the genre's Best of compilations: Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year, Paula Guran's Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, and Stephen Jones' Mammoth Book of Best New Horror.

Don't know if anyone has ever scored this kind of three-fer with the same story in any given year, with these editors or others who've edited Best of Horror anthologies. When I started out, Ellen and Steve each had a series going, and so did Karl Edward Wagner. Now Paula's the new kid on the block.

Anyway, it seems there have always been two or three different series going. Either way, I'm very pleased with this news... and if anyone knows if this is a landmark, shoot me an email and let me know. Or if other writers have done this with the same story, let me know that, too. I'm all about the esoteric knowledge -- send me some.