Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Premakes: The Avengers (1952)


Okay. What if they'd made an Avengers movie back in the fabulous fifties? It might have looked like this. (And, sure, it's a bit of a fudge sliding a sixties gal like Diana Rigg in there as the Black Widow, but you'd have to be more than a little bent to argue a choice like that, wouldn't you? I mean, talk about a woman with Avengers cred!)

So consider this pretty much a "KO 1" assessment by yours truly. I love it. Plus, my geek meter notched into the stratosphere while watching it, because I actually know where most of the clips came from. And while I'm at it, credit where credit is due: I found this over on Josh Reynolds' comics blog, It's Clobberin' Time. Josh's place is a Yancy Street joint which is always worth a looksee -- especially if you're a fan of Bashful Benji Grimm.

And one last thing: Lee Marvin as the voice of Nick Fury? That's perfect. Give me more.