Monday, April 19, 2010

Howl of the Yeti

There's a great piece on Lesser Demons over at Stomping on Yeti. I've got to say that this is my favorite kind of review -- long and thoughtful, one where I can really peg what the reviewer felt when he slapped covers closed on one of my books. I'm gratified to say that the new collection did its work the way I intended with this reader, and that means I did, too. And, sure, there's some criticism along with the praise, but that's all right. Gives me something to think about as I batten down the hatches on a few more stories (juggling three right now).

Of course, as a writer you have to learn to take the good with the bad. Not all the reviews you'll get are of the glowing variety (as this one is). The bad ones tend to put a dent in your day. The best you can say of them is that they can provide fuel for the fire. Spark it up and make it blaze a little. As in: "Okay. I'm feeling like I've got something to prove. Let me get in there and rattle that keyboard."

After a review like this, I'm feeling more of a well-stoked glow than a blazing fire...but, hell, I think I'll go write anyway.